Friday, April 25, 2008

Music as a commodity/the magic of ownership


Have you heard of this? The thought of making music a commodity. The ideas is that you pay a bill every month whichallows you to download and share whatever music you want. Apple is currently negotiating a subscription service with record labels that do just that.

I've been thinking about this. Doesn't the art that we own say something about us? For example, if you were to take a look at my DVD collection, you would see a variety of films that I have purposefully acquired and been given. I have everything from Spider Man to Koyaanasqatsi to Citizen Kane to Singin' in the Rain. I have big hollywood films, smaller films, and documentaries. I take pride in my collection and I like what it says about me. However, if everyone had access to whatever movie or music they wanted, some of that magic of ownership would be lost. What do you think?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I agree... I like to think that the music/movies/books reflects my personality and open-minded interest in diverse topics :-)
And I had no idea you had a blog! so do I (for my internship): http://laura-internship2008.blogspot.com/