Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Speed-Rater


I was watching the latest speed racer trailer on apple.com and I thought to myself, too bad this movie is rated PG-13 because this movie looks perfect for younger boys. It's like hot-wheels on a hollywood budget.

Lo and behold, somewhere along the way, they changed the rating from PG-13 to PG - a smart move, I might add. If you look on the Speed Racer trailer page, the rating still says PG-13.
Be careful of movies that have been converted from PG-13 to PG (or from R to PG-13 for that matter); they tend to push the ratings envelope a bit and have odd traces of mature subject matter.

4 comments:

Season said...

Don't they make a movie "PG-13" at first sometimes for promotions, to get an older (larger?) crowd?

I guess I have only heard of that happening in a few instances, and then right after it comes out or right before, they silently switch it back to PG...

But it goes either way I guess! For the good and for the not so good...

Mandy said...

I saw Speed Racer a couple days ago. FYI, here are the teeny traces of mature subject matter that I saw: There's a fight scene- but its so cartoony you can barely deem it violence. And theres a kiss, but there's even a warning right before it for children to close there eyes.
Just thought you might like to know...

Patrick said...

What fun, I actually got some comments.

I've never heard of a studio making a movie rated one thing, then switching it at the last minute.

I have heard of a studio shooting a movie with the intention of making it PG-13, then deciding after the fact that they'll make more money by making it PG. This happened with The Pink Panther (with Steve Martin).

Luke said...

Sweet! I'm glad it's PG; I had the exact same thoughts about it -- wanting to see it with Michael sometime.